Patronise F1

Patronising F1 since 2007

Thursday
Jul 24th
Text size
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Horner accepts one-off 'disadvantage'

E-mail Print PDF

Red Bull boss Christian Horner has said that he is happy to run his cars at a "disadvantage" at the British GP this weekend, but says that he wants to see a full agreement from F1's teams over the engine mapping issue by the next race.

The debate over the rules of the off-throttle engine map ban threatened to overwhelm the British Grand Prix weekend, after Horner and McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh clashed in Friday's press conference.

Following that, the FIA confirmed on Saturday morning that the Renault-powered teams would not be allowed to run their engine maps up to 50% of maximum throttle as previously agreed, as the request from Renault had been received too late.

The governing body, however, did allow Mercedes to keep their own concession relating to over-running the engine under braking. Both Mercedes and Renault were requesting the concessions on reliability grounds.

The decision to block Renault's request led to Horner and RBR technical chief Adrian Newey engaging in a deep discussion with FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting during morning practice on Saturday.

From there, the FIA called an 'extraordinary meeting' of the sport's Technical Working Group to get the matter settled before the qualifying session.

And after the meeting, Horner said that he was now happy to run his cars without the extra 50% concession, but said that he was eager to find a better solution for future races.

He added that he was still sure the rules as they stood put his team at a "disadvantage".

"We're trying to find a solution," he told the BBC after the meeting had concluded, "It's in nobody's interest to have the lack of clarity that currently exists.

"Charlie [Whiting] made an offer. Red Bull has also offered a concession this weekend to run as we are. Obviously we need all the teams to agree to move on and put this behind us - which hopefully we're not far from achieving."

He went on: "At the moment, in our opinion, we are running at a disadvantage to some of the other engine manufacturers. But we're trying to find a solution which is clear moving forward to put this behind us.

"The most simplistic thing would be to move back to exactly where we were two weeks ago."

Meanwhile, McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh told the Beeb that he was sure that there would be unhappy people after the ban went through no matter what the situation.

"I think everyone is going to be running the same thing. There is a limitation on the amount of throttle that is allowed," he said before the qualifying session, which turned out to be a disappointment for his own team.

"Those that end up at the front will probably end up happy and those that are disadvantaged won't be, and Ferrari seemed to come out of the meeting more smiling than some others.

"It all sounds very small but they affect many parts on the car. Some people will luck in and some won't."

The ban has been discussed for much of the season, with the FIA having originally tried to ban the engine maps for the Spanish Grand Prix.